This pasta is so easy and delicious, definitely great for beginners to the vegan life or even just beginners in the kitchen. All you need to do is cook pasta and throw everything into a food processor or blender and combine. She has this dish on the cover of her cookbook and I don’t blame her, it’s so good. I served this with a side of roasted delicata squash but this dish could go with any side and makes for an easy dinner. Caution, this is made for 6 servings and it made A LOT of leftovers so feel free to half the recipe if it’s just for you!
To make gluten-free: use gluten-free pasta
Her new cookbook just came out and it is awesome! If you don’t own a vegan cookbook yet I promise you’ll love this one.
Time stated: n/a
Actual time to make: Less than 30 minutes
Ease of making: Easy
Cooking skills needed: Need a food processor
Weird ingredients needed: nothing weird
Prep necessary? Yes, I would wash the kale and pluck the leaves off
- Make sure to start boiling the water while you’re preparing the ingredients for the sauce, if you do both at once it’ll make the time very short
- I added some crushed red pepper flakes into the sauce and I found it gave it a really nice kick
- I used about ¼ of a teaspoon
- For the sauce, I would add all of the wet ingredients first and add the kale last, this way the blades will move easier
- The cashews really are supposed to be raw! You don’t need to soak them or boil them before, they make the pesto have a nice crunch to it
The recipe with my notes:
|1 pound linguine
4 cups chopped curly kale leaves (about 1 bunch)
½ cup raw cashews
½ cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
|1. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook to al dente according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot, off the heat.
2. Meanwhile, in a food processor (or blender) combine the kale, raw cashews, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and process until smooth. Season with black pepper.
3. Toss the pesto with the pasta. Portion onto plates and top each serving with a pinch of red pepper flakes if desired.